Nigeria militants abduct four UK nationals in the Niger Delta

The four people believed to be British, who have been kidnapped in Nigeria’s southern Delta state were missionaries.

A couple and two others were taken around 02:00 local time last Friday.

A local chief told the BBC they had been living in a rural community providing free medical aid for up to 10 years.

Police spokesman Andrew Aniamaka said no ransom demand had yet been made.

He said militants, calling themselves the Karowei, were the main suspects.

Kidnapping for ransom is common in the oil-rich Niger Delta.

Full Story Here: BBC News

 

Madagascar plague kills 74 people

The plague outbreak in Madagascar has now killed 74 people, with 805 cases recorded in more than two months, the health ministry says.

Ten days ago, the death toll stood at 33 with 230 people infected.

There are normally about 400 cases of plague every year on the Indian Ocean island nation.

This year the majority of cases are of pneumonic plague, which affects the lungs and is transmitted through coughing.

Full Story Here: BBC News

4 takeaways from the IMB’s latest global piracy report

A total of 121 incidents of piracy and armed robbery against ships were reported in the first nine months of 2017, according to the International Chamber of Commerce’s (ICC) International Maritime Bureau’s (IMB) latest quarterly report on maritime piracy.

The flagship global report notes that, while piracy rates were down compared to the same period in 2016, there is continuing concern over attacks in the Gulf of Guinea and in South East Asia. The increase in attacks off the coast of Venezuela and other security incidents against vessels off Libya – including an attempted boarding in the last quarter – highlights the need for vigilance in other areas.  In total, 92 vessels were boarded, 13 were fired upon, there were 11 attempted attacks and five vessels were hijacked in the first nine months of 2017.

Full Story Here: International Chamber of Commerce

Military plan in place for Hodeida port

A military plan is in place for Yemen—backed by a Saudi-led coalition—to strike the Al Houthi-held Hodeidah port on the Red Sea, Yemen’s foreign minister has said.

In an interview with the Saudi-owned Al Riyadh newspaper, Abdul Malik Al Mekhlafi said that a military offensive in Hodeida would bring about a peaceful settlement that would end the more than three years of civil war.

“Al Hodeida is part of the war and it is the only remaining smuggling point under the control of Al Houthis and Saleh. We have[prepared] a plan for the liberation of Al Hodeida,” Al Mekhlafi said, adding that his government has agreed to a proposal put forth by UN envoy Esmail Ould Shaikh Ahmad which aims to disrupt the flow of arms to the rebels through the strategic port city.

Al Houthis will only come to the negotiating table when “all of their illusions about a military victory in Yemen are broken”, Al Mekhlafi said.

Full Story Here: Gulf News

Somalia attack: Death toll rises to at least 276

At least 276 people are now known to have died in a massive bomb attack in a busy area of the Somali capital Mogadishu on Saturday.

A Turkish military plane is meeting victims.

Officials say some people are then being evacuated to Turkey for medical treatment.

It is the deadliest terror attack in Somalia since the Islamist al-Shabab group launched its insurgency in 2007.

Full Story Here: BBC News

Somalia: At least 230 dead in Mogadishu bomb attack

A massive bomb attack in a busy area of the Somali capital Mogadishu on Saturday is now known to have killed at least 230 people, police say.

Hundreds more were wounded when a lorry packed with explosives detonated near the entrance of a hotel.

It is the deadliest terror attack in Somalia since the Islamist al-Shabab group launched its insurgency in 2007.

President Mohamed Abdullahi “Farmajo” Mohamed blamed the attack on them, calling it a “heinous act”.

No group has yet said it was behind the bombing.

Full Story Here: BBC News

NEPTUNE P2P GROUP WEEKLY INTELLIGENCE SUMMARY (HRA)

See Here for Report: Neptune P2P Group – Intelligence Weekly Summary HRA 6th October – 13th October 2017

 

Mozambique: Mocimboa Da Praia – 52 People Arrested

The Mozambican police on Tuesday announced the arrests of 52 people in connection with the armed islamist attack against the town of Mocimboa da Praia, in the northern province of Cabo Delgado, last Thursday.

At a Maputo press briefing, the spokesperson for the General Command of the police, Inacio Dina, said that, despite the large number of arrests, only four firearms and 100 rounds of ammunition had been seized.

He put the death toll from the clashes, which lasted throughout Thursday and into Friday, at 17 – two police officers, 14 members of the attacking group, and one community leader murdered by the raiders.

Full Story Here: All Africa

Deadly ‘supercell’ storm scatters ships in South Africa

Moored ships were blown away as a “supercell thunderstorm” swept through South Africa’s KwaZulu-Natal region, killing at least eight people.

The dead include a child swept away by rising waters and two patients killed when a wall collapsed at the Prince Mshiyeni Memorial Hospital, near Durban, the region’s main city.

The storm forced the closure of the Port of Durban, one of the busiest in Africa, on Tuesday.

Three vessels were grounded while others broke mooring lines and drifted in the channel, the port authority said in a statement.

Full Story Here: BBC News

Sixteen killed in attacks on remote Mozambique port

Gun battles last week between police and attackers in a remote northern Mozambican port killed 16 people, including two police officers, local media reported.

The attacks in the Indian Ocean port of Mocimboa da Praia, near the border with Tanzania and offshore gas fields, took place last Thursday and police have since regained control of the town, the official AIM news agency said.

The motive for the attacks were not clear and the government has not blamed the opposition group Renamo, against which it fought a civil war for almost two decades that ended in 1992. Fighting has periodically erupted since but a ceasefire has been in place since earlier this year.

Full Story Here: Reuters