33 bodies are pulled from wreckage of migrant boat from the sea in Egypt

Egypt raised the wreck of a migrant boat Tuesday and recovered at least 33 bodies, taking to 202 the death toll from last week’s sinking off the country’s Mediterranean coast.

Up to 450 migrants had been crowded aboard the fishing trawler when it keeled over off the port city of Rosetta on September 21, including an estimated 100 in its hold.

The Egyptian military said 163 people had been rescued, the boat would have had at least 365 people on board when it went down en route to Italy, according to official figures.

On Monday, police detained the owner of the vessel. judicial source said he could face charges of human trafficking and involuntary manslaughter.

The United Nations’ refugee agency said Friday that most of those rescued were Egyptians but they also included migrants from Sudan, Eritrea, Syria and Ethiopians.

Since 2014, there has been a steady increase in the number of interceptions of refugees and migrants trying to leave Egypt in an irregular manner,’ said the UNHCR.

‘Many refugees and migrants may be using Egypt as a transit country,’ it said, adding 2016 was expected to be the deadliest year on record for Mediterranean crossings by migrants. 

The International Organization for Migration said on Tuesday that 3,501 migrants and refugees have died or gone missing trying to cross the Mediterranean so far this year.

For the full article, please click here.

Via: www.dailymail.co.uk

Syrian Army Offensive in East Aleppo Continues

The Syrian Arab Army (SAA) continued their massive offensive inside the eastern neighborhoods of Aleppo on Wednesday, targeting the terrorist defenses from three different axes.

Led by the Syrian Republican Guard, the Syrian Arab Army stormed the Salahiddeen District’s western axis on Wednesday, destroying one of Fatah Halab’s command-and-control centers.

Meanwhile, at Farafira in east Aleppo, the Syrian Armed Forces fully secured the area after a brief skirmish with the Fatah Halab militants that attempted to reenter the district earlier today.

Intense clashes are still ongoing around the east Aleppo neighborhoods, as the Syrian Armed Forces attempt to capitalize on their recent success.

For the full article, please click here.

Via: Alalam News Network

Libya exports first oil cargo from Ras Lanuf since 2014

An oil tanker left the Libyan port of Ras Lanuf for Italy early on Wednesday with the first crude export cargo from the terminal since at least late 2014.

The port manager said a second tanker was preparing to load at Ras Lanuf one of four seized on Sept. 11-12 by eastern Libyan forces loyal to military leader Khalifa Haftar.

For the full article, please click here.

Via: http: www.reuters.com

Tanker hijackers extradited to Malaysia

Eight Indonesians suspected of hijacking the Malaysian product tanker Orkim Harmony have been extradited to Malaysia by a court in Vietnam.

The suspects have 15 days to appeal the extradition ruling.The court denied an extradition request from Indonesian authorities, according to Vietnam’s VnExpress newspaper.

The eight suspects were arrested by Vietnamese authorities near Tho Chu Island off Vietnam’s southern coast in June last year. They were on a lifeboat and claimed that their fishing vessel sank, but later admitted they had hijacked the tanker.

For the full article, please click here.

Via: http://splash247.com

Seizure of Libyan oil terminals prompts call for military action

Internationally backed government calls on forces to protect ports against ‘flagrant aggression’ by rival administration.

Forces opposed to the UN-backed Libyan government in Tripoli appear to be making a clean sweep through the country’s “oil crescent”, seizing control of oil terminal headquarters and gaining a stranglehold over the export of Libya’s economic lifeblood.

In response to the attacks on the oil installations, the UN-backed government called for the LNA to be defeated. However, there was no immediate sign that any forces, such as the Misrata Brigades, would respond.

For the full article, please click here.

Via: theguardian.com

Neptune & Port2Port Maritime Security merger completed

Neptune and Port2Port Maritime Security, two of the leading global maritime security risk management providers have sucessfully completed their merger and subsequent integration. Both companies will continue to operate as seperate legal entities providing services to their clients albeit they are now wholly owned subsidiaries of the Neptune P2P Group.